History of the Hall

The village hall at Withington is known as the J W Smith Memorial Hall and originally built in 1921 in memory of the late John William Smith of Barnamore Whitestone. The old hall on Veldo Lane provided a location for meetings, functions and provided the local community well. Due to the age of the hall and the high costs of maintenance it was decided a new hall was needed which provided up to date facilities. The old hall was demolished and a new one constructed at a new location just of Withies Road. The new building was opened on Saturday 23rd October 1999 by the Chairman Mr. Kevin Hewison and local businessman Mr. John Chadd owner of Chadds of Hereford. As well as local fundraising, money from The Millennium Project and The National Lottery was used to help with the development of the hall. The committee have continued to upgrade the current hall with further funding which has provided improved kitchen facilities. The hall is in the process of replacing the wooden doors and windows with aluminum hard wearing doors. This can only be done by providing excellent facilities and continued successful hiring's.

The Smith Memorial Hall, Withington, Hereford

Above the late John William Smith

The old Village Hall at Withington

Work starts on the foundations

The new hall rises from the ground

Withington Village Hall Committee 2013

The new hall as it is today

Website supported by Strato-Hosting